Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Women's reservation bill and all the controversy

I was going through the BBC blog on the bill for reservation of seats for women in the parliament.

Firstly, let me make my point of view clear. I am against most reservations. Because I think reservations while giving the illusion of growth actually stymies it. There is a certain stigma attached to a person's attitude towards anybody who has come to a position with the help of reservation and not on his/her merit alone. I think that stigma in itself is detrimental to growth. But, then again when airing this view I have been asked about what I feel about the reserved seats or compartments in the local transportations in the Indian cities or suburbs. I am always a bit pained at what the answer to this question is. I have faced the perils that a young girl undergoes everyday when commuting to and from work/schools/colleges and I have to agree that this reservation is a "necessary evil". Now that I have sort of cleared my point of view with regard to general reservation, let me make some comments on the reservation of parliamentary seats. This reservation is in some way more crucial than reservation of seats in a bus or seats in an educational institution for that matter. There are definitely two sides to this reservation. It is my belief (and in no way is it supported by any statistical analysis) that inclusion of women in the legislative system might lead to increase in importance given to certain issues that are most crucial for women and may otherwise be overlooked by men. However, I seriously doubt the statement (in the BBC blog) that women are less prone to be corrupt than men. There has been the added concern aired that this reservation might lead to women being elected who would be puppets in the hand of their male relatives. While this situation might indeed happen, this is no different than the 'male relatives' actually in the government and should not be an added concern. Even if a certain percentage of women are able to make decisions on their own that is a positive step. Overall this bill might have some positive effects on the lives of women in India.

However, this bill is only the first baby step towards betterment of the condition of the women in India. For the real improvement, there is need for all round socio-economic development and better education and awareness among the women. The bill in itself is no reason for rejoicing. It is the effect of the bill and the way it is implemented that could potentially be a cause for celebration.

As an after thought I was going over the various comments to the blog. That is where I was surprised --- in both good and bad way! I found many well meant comments both for and against the bill but recognizing the condition of women in India and the need for improvement. I did not think so many people (especially men) realized and felt for women. And I found people who refused to even believe that women are treated unfairly.

There was few comments noting that not everybody in India treats women in a derogatory manner. While this is true the broad general statement that Indian women are treated unfairly and with derogation is a truth that can hardly be argued. People also tend to compare the situation of women in India and the west. The argument put forward is always that we had a woman prime minister. I, myself am not under an illusion that women are treated equally anywhere. But there is a varying degree of equality and fairness. And while we have had a woman prime minister, the average Indian woman is still treated much much more unfairly than in the west. Women foeticide is still a common practice as well as dowry. Even in the urban areas and among educated people dowry and preferential treatment of male child is predominant. Women while they can work for a living are still expected to do all the house chores by themselves. This leads to a woman having to choose between work and home. The women who choose to stay at home and look after the household duties are left at the mercy of her male relatives (and made to be thoroughly aware of her precarious predicament) and the national per capita income does not show her as earning even if she does some part-time job from home.

.....

This was a post I had started writing a few months ago and got too agitated to see it to its completion. But, anyway I will keep hoping that someday women in India and everywhere else are treated with respect and viewed as equal to men.

No comments: